New product development is expected to drive the industry forward.
- The global confectionery industry anticipates stronger sales in 2018 driven by premium dark chocolate, protein-enrichment and candy with natural colors.
- Premium chocolate, seasonal and functional confections are expected to be future growth drivers. High cocoa content, natural colors and protein are the in vogue ingredient trends.
- China, India, Mexico and the UAE are the main emerging markets for survey respondents.
- Brick & mortar supermarkets still offer strong growth prospects. Major supermarket chains in developed markets are facing stiff competition from discounters, yet more respondents saw confectionery sales growth opportunities in supermarkets than discount or dollar dollar stores.
- Low cocoa prices impact farmers
- Health & Wellness product development vs. pricing
- Declining consumption of gum
- Sugar taxes
Read the full report at State of the Confectionery Industry 2017